But I respectfully disagree.
To me if our small business doesn’t have a vision, well…..
I guess I will just start my list.
If our small business doesn’t have a vision…..
- Then all we really have is a job.
- Then our passion and drive are limited to just making money, which actually can be a vision too, I guess.
- We will find it difficult to find the perfect people for our business because we don’t know if they are aligned with what is important to us – which is usually our vision.
- Our business and culture begin to match the mis-mash of people we’ve hired who aren’t passionate about their work. How do I know? They have joined a company that has no vision. That’s how I know.
- There are usually few long-term plans in vision-less companies as we, and our team, are just trying to get through the week or the month.
- Without a vision, and therefore a purpose to strive for, we don’t know what systems and processes we will need to support our business long-term. We haven’t envisioned the long-term.
- Without systems and processes our business doesn’t become efficient, and thereby, our growth is limited.
- And marketing without a vision is particularly difficult. Small businesses have a hard time justifying marketing anyway. Can you imagine creating a marketing plan or developing materials without a targeted message?
- Without a vision your message cannot be unique. Buy my widget or widget repair services. Why? Because I am working hard to sell them. You see. There is no real point of difference.
- Now take this a step further and think about your sales team selling your products or services. Each is making something up as they go along. Buy from us because we are better. Yeah….that’s it. We are better.
I could keep going, but the point is that every business, small or large needs a vision. Many of you actually have a vision. You just hate the word vision so you have never tried to figure out or communicate it to yourself or others.
As a Christian in business, I believe God gives us our vision. He puts a purpose on our heart and we develop that into a business that exists to achieve that purpose.
I want to help small business owners create successful businesses on a foundation of Christian values.
To do this God has purposed me with sharing with small business owners things like they need a vision for their business. And, that as a Christian, they need to turn to God to seek His vision for their business.
There. See how easy it is. Now you try.
What has God put on your heart to accomplish through your business?