Everyday doesn’t necessarily go as planned. Especially as a small business owner, I think most of us would agree, that things just happen.
As they happen I personally feel off kilter. I know, I know….it is feeling out of control. But if I think about it intellectually, I also have learned that control is an illusion anyway. God is the only one truly in control.
At the end of a long day of not being in control, I feel whipped. My first instinct is to try to regain control. You know….get everything organized….do some extra work to feel like you are driving the ship……or something. Anything.
You hate to leave work without resolving that feeling of being off balance.
At least, I feel this way.
So what do you do?
Here is the only process that really makes me feel any better.
- First, I recognize that I feel off balance and dangerously close to the cliff edge.
- Then I fight off the urge to work may way back in control.
- I remind myself that I am doubly frustrated because I hate to feel powerless.
- I take a couple of deep breaths….resolve myself….and do what always works no matter what the situation.
- I close my eyes and pray to the One who is in control.
I give it to Him. I usually start by apologizing for whatever I did in the first place to start the domino effect on my day.
I ask God to bring me back to His view, not my own crazy view that every day has to be a great day, and I have to have it all together.
Then I pray that He will get me back on track with His plan for me, my business, and whatever situation may have occurred that made me feel off in the first place.
Suddenly, a sense of peace sets in.
And then I let go.
I really give it to Him.
Having a rough day? Try this. It is one of the tiny miracles God does to love us, grow our faith, and remind us who is really in control.