“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us.” Ephesians 3:20
The concept of this verse can be difficult to grasp. As humans, we often place God in a box. A comfortable, small, safe box based on all that we know or can see. But, God cannot fit in our man-made boxes. His glory and might cannot be contained.
The scary part can be when we take God out of our boxes. This usually happens when we feel God calling us to go places we don’t want to go, or to do things we don’t think we can do.
This is the beautiful part of having a relationship with God. It takes completely trusting that the Lord’s power is at work within us and stepping out in faith, even in our doubts.
Owning a business doesn’t come without difficulty. Sometimes God calls you to uncharted waters. These are the less-comfortable places, the thanks-but-no-thanks places. And, uncharted waters look different for every business owner.
Firing an employee. Opening another location. Moving offices. Expanding your team. Changing your business direction. Adding a new service or product.
Whether small or large, the calling can seem daunting and overwhelming. But, as Christians we can have peace that The Lord does care about our business.
Here are some comforting truths to remember when the Lord is calling you to step out in faith:
- The Lord is always with you. “Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.” 1 Corinthians 2:12
- The Lord goes before you. “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8
- The Lord works within you. “For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13
Walking in Obedience is Scary Sometimes
God often calls us to places in our lives for our benefit. To grow us. To help us learn to trust Him. To teach us patience. To draw us nearer to Him.
The most overwhelming part of feeling God calling you to something big (and perhaps, scary) might be the confusion of how to get started, how to move forward.
How can you take measures to make sure that you clearly understand what He desires for you and your business? How can you know where He wants to lead you?
Here are three things you can do to be proactive with the vision and calling God has given you.
- Pray for wisdom and clarity. Pray that His will be done. Pray for boldness. Pray and listen to what the Lord is speaking to you.
- Be financially wise. Look at your finances and how/if they will be affected by the direction you feel God taking you. God will not purposely put you in financial jeopardy.
- Seek counsel. Talk with an advisor or a business coach, someone you trust with decisions to help you process what the Lord is calling you to.
When God calls you out of your comfort zone toward a possible great unknown, allow His power and peace to cover you. Allow Him to fully work in you no matter how hard or uncomfortable it may be.
When we step out in faith, He will do far more than we could ever imagine. Isn’t that beautiful and comforting? It may be scary and it may not look like what you had planned, but as He says in Jeremiah, His plans are to prosper us and give us hope.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” – C.S. Lewis