As a leader do you sometimes feel like you are the leader that no one follows? You wake up in the morning ready to embrace the day that God has given you. You greet your family with energy and enthusiasm. They look back at you under tired eyes and grimace at your smiles.
You give a couple of instructions to the home team to get done today, since after all it is summer, and your kids want to be productive right?
Then you pull into work a little less enthusiastic from the response of the kids. But you give yourself a pep talk. A tired kid isn’t going to deflate you!
And as the day progresses you see a pattern evolving:
- John didn’t call the vendor back yesterday and see if he could get better terms.
- Cassie sent ten emails to prospects this week instead of picking up the phone or actually going to see them.
- The marketing guy didn’t get you the proofs like he had promised.
- Your most seasoned employee quit even though you had laid out the exciting plans you have for the coming year.
It goes on like this all day. As a matter of fact, it happens on many days.
If I’m the leader why don’t people just shut up, stop thinking, and follow! I have their best interest at heart. I am experienced. I know what I am doing. Their lives, all of our lives, would be so much better if they would just listen.
And you aren’t just saying it. It is probably true. Things would be a trillion times better if people would listen and follow.
So what are you doing wrong?
I know it would be great if there was some technique or tip that would transform your leadership to attract cult-like followers, but in some cases, it isn’t about you!
Which is truly a bummer as we can onlychange ourselves. And don’t get me wrong, I believe that any and all leaders can always improve their skills, and hopefully, their effectiveness.
However, even the most successful leaders will face resistant followers.
Look at God.
He is the ultimate leader. He created life and the world. Oh and He created His followers. Yet still we don’t follow.
None other than God Himself, in the form of Jesus, ever perfectly followed. Look at the world and you can only imagine how God’s day plays out.
- I told you not to have sex before you get married, it will ruin you from the inside out.
- If you focus on money and make it an idol, not only will it never truly satisfy you, but your greed will impact your relationships, your health, and your faith.
- Please don’t kill each other, the impact has a ripple effect like a Tsunami wave.
- Yes, really, love even your enemies….it could change them, and you, forever.
The list could go on and on and on…..actually the Bible is full of God trying to get us to follow.
And yet He doesn’t give up. And He goes after each one of us. And some will follow.
Some will choose Him.
And those who are chosen will plant seeds.
They will lead the way back to Him.
And some of these will not follow….
but some will.
It is for the ones who will follow that you must keep leading!
Leave a Reply