I hate when prayer is called a discipline. I wrote about it once before here. Maybe that is because the word discipline connotes a negative you-have-to-do-it-or-you-are-in-trouble disposition.
Maybe it is because I don’t have discipline.
Anyway, I think of prayer as a privilege. It is like having God on your speed dial.
Have you ever called someone and heard the enthusiasm in their voice when they realize it is you? I love that!
I try to imagine that is how God feels when our prayers are lifted up to Him. Maybe He says “Awesome, it’s Sue calling.”
I hope so because I call a lot!
Especially when I am stressed!
Stress Solutions: Pray, Plan and Practice Follow-up
We started this week with discussing stress solutions. I shared my three part process: Pray, Plan and Practice.
I wanted to follow-up with a little more depth on how to incorporate prayer into your business life and how it can be used to help us manage the stress that is inevitable at various times in the life of a small business owner.
Prayer is our communication with God. It helps us create connection. It enhances our relationship with Him and will permeate into every part of our being. Through prayer we will find the peace to reduce our stress while we are weathering the current storm. Through our relationship with Jesus we will find the strength to do the things that have to be done to get on the right track.
Ten Ways To Pray About Your Business
Here are 10 ways to connect with God and pray about your business:
- I really like to walk through my business at the beginning of the week and lift up each office, other counselors, and clients to God.
- When I study scripture, I look for what God is trying to tell me about my business. I ask (pray) God to reveal to me the things I am doing wrong or the attitudes I have that may be a problem.
- I also pray for opportunity and growth. Remember, the book The Prayer of Jabez. Sometimes I pray for God to “expand my borders” for His work.
- Set-up a prayer team for your business. These can be friends and family who want to come along side you and intercede for your business.
- Getting a prayer partner may be a more intimate source of intercession. Someone you are comfortable sharing details of your business and life with.
- Journal to God. When I pray through journaling it feels very tangible. It is the best way for me to give my burdens to Him.
- Ask (pray) for the Holy Spirit to guide your words and actions each day. Let Him lead the way.
- Draw and Color a prayer map. It is kind of like a mind map with pictures and colors to represent your prayers for the week. Pin them up over your desk to keep them top of mind.
- Pray with your spouse each morning before work. Include your spouse in your worries and hopes for your business. Make them a part of it too!
- Just talk to God all day. Keep Him so close that at any given time you can look to Him for the right path!
Proverbs 3:5-6 (New International Version, ©2011)
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Where Are You Today on the Stress Meter?
Since it is Monday, rank your stress right now on a scale of 1-10, ten being over the top. Now, try some of these ways to keep the conversation going with God this week. Lift up your heart to Him in prayer.
Watch to see if your stress meter comes down at the end of the week. Do you have a lower number? Do you feel closer to God? Do you feel the enthusiasm from Him every times He hears from you?
Rembember, it is okay to pray about your business.
Oh, and share with us your favorite form of prayer for your business in the comments below. Let’s try to grow this list to 20!
A few other posts on keeping stress down and praying in your business: